Welcome to my Blog focused on life narratives and all things addiction and recovery! The language of your life is created in the form of stories (narratives) constructed and integrated from your life experiences. These narratives form the uniqueness of your identity; referred to as your narrative Identity, they are an internalized and evolving story that shapes your sense of purpose, individuality and unity (with others). They are also, in large part, the filters through which you see life – how life occurs to you, and how you personally fit into that filtered reality. Your narratives also have the power to increase your risk of addiction; people in recovery spend a significant amount of time untangling the toxic language created in the past that’s sabotaging their future.
Here’s the really cool thing – you can change the story and alter language created from past experiences, dramatically shifting how you see yourself in the present and into the future.
I hope you enjoy what I share; I very much look forward to constructive dialog on how we see and interpret the world, and how the language created through those filters enable or inhibit our abilities to thrive. I also welcome dialog on how the science of addiction is balanced with the art of recovery to create a truly transformed future.
- 7 Words That Will Transform Your RecoveryWhat is the Key to an Extraordinary Life? If you’re a 12-Stepper you know we have a Program and… Read more: 7 Words That Will Transform Your Recovery
- Your One Word for LifeDiscover Your One Word to Ensure Your Legacy Have you considered there may be one word that 1) describes… Read more: Your One Word for Life
- Thinking Brain | Feeling BrainThe Basic Brain Science of Addiction & Recovery We have two fundamental functions in our brains – not the… Read more: Thinking Brain | Feeling Brain
- PORN: The Pernicious PredatorPart-1 of: America’s “other” Epidemic Much has been written about America’s opioid epidemic – from the runaway greed of… Read more: PORN: The Pernicious Predator
- The 3 Laws of WellbeingSelf-directed Wellbeing begins with a declaration,or it doesn’t begin at all! Self-directed wellbeing is defined as the capacity, resources… Read more: The 3 Laws of Wellbeing
- Banking on RecoveryA Finance-based Metaphor for Recovery An interesting way to look at recovery is through the eyes of our finances.… Read more: Banking on Recovery
- The Porn Addicted BrainWhy porn addiction, like drug &alcohol addiction, is a brain disease. I recently joined Reddit to participate in the… Read more: The Porn Addicted Brain
- The Opposite of AddictionTo discover the right answer, one must first ask the right question. I recently watched a Ted Talk where… Read more: The Opposite of Addiction
- The One You FeedWinning the War on the Inside. I once heard a story told by a Native American Indian at a… Read more: The One You Feed
- Resolute ResolutionsThree Keys for Successful Resolutions Around New Years but also throughout the year, and with the best of intentions,… Read more: Resolute Resolutions
- Hole in My SidewalkThe Essence of Change – a poem by Portia Nelson This brilliant poem by Portia Nelson has long been… Read more: Hole in My Sidewalk
- Words MatterWords can be positive or negative, helpful or hurtful. Either way, they matter; it matters what you say, both… Read more: Words Matter
- Getting Started…As this is my first post, I’ll use this opportunity to summarize what I’m trying to impact with Narratives… Read more: Getting Started…